Cahill is an ideal place for someone who has been prepared by the rigorous apprenticeship of a clerkship to move directly to the frontlines of practice. We value the experience that judicial law clerks bring to the private practice of law.
There is no fixed approach to practice at Cahill. There are no requirements confining a lawyer to a particular sub-specialty. Lean staffing of matters and a tradition of flexibility and informality make Cahill a place well-suited to those eager and able to assume responsibility rapidly. Former law clerks joining Cahill benefit from:
- A long and rich history of government service on the part of present and past Cahill attorneys.
- The success and top-rate reputation of our litigation practice, especially in "bet the company" cases.
- Our diverse clientele, which includes some of the world's best-known companies (and their officers and directors) and many of the leading investment and commercial banks.
- The freedom to direct one's own career due to the absence of a formal assignment system.
- A variety of pro bono opportunities through established programs with our pro bono partners.
Among our ranks are former law clerks who have served judges in either the federal or state judiciaries, including the United States Supreme Court. Cahill alumni currently serve, or have served, as Attorney General of the United States, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, and other prominent government posts.
Federal and State Judiciary
- Former Cahill attorneys serve or have served on the judiciary, including sitting judges of the Second Circuit, the Southern District of New York and the New York Court of Appeals
- 34 former or current Cahill attorneys have served as Assistant U.S. Attorneys
- 9 former or current Cahill attorneys have served as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern or Eastern Districts of New York, the District of Connecticut or the Eastern District of California
Department of Justice and Federal Agency Service
- Over 50 current and former Cahill attorneys serve or have served in government agencies including: Office of Attorney General, Department of Justice (Antitrust, Fraud, Racketeering, Tax), U.S. Civil Aeronautics Board, Central Intelligence Agency, Department of Defense, Department of Energy, Department of the Interior, Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Trade Commission, Department of Health Education and Welfare, Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Department of Treasury, Export-Import Bank of the U.S., and Department of the Navy
- Cahill attorneys have served as The District Attorney for both New York and Queens counties
- 8 former Cahill attorneys have served as Assistant District Attorneys
State Attorneys General and Agency Service
- A former Cahill attorney has served in the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- A former Cahill attorney previously served as the New York State Solicitor General