Like many of our clients, Cahill is committed to an environmental sustainability program within our offices and has undertaken a number of initiatives to reduce resource consumption and our carbon footprint. Cahill is an active participant in the Law Firm Sustainability Network (LFSN), whose members seek to enhance their environmental efforts through cooperation and sharing of ideas, and to raise awareness of sustainability issues within the law firm community. We are proud to have received the American Legal Sustainability Standard (ALISS) certification from the LFSN in recognition of assessing our sustainability program and taking measures to reduce our environmental impact. ALISS is a self-assessment tool that awards weighted points for various activities covering internal sustainability, external sustainability, stakeholder engagement, measuring and reporting, and innovation.
Beyond our membership in the LFSN and adherence to its principles, Cahill has created the Cahill Green and Wellness (CG&W) Initiative, which has resulted in various programs and policies to benefit our community by decreasing our environmental impact while promoting wellness for our employees.
Cahill's Sustainability and Green Initiatives
- We utilize Server and Storage Virtualization in our data center. Over the past several years, we have virtualized 95% of our server and storage space, leading to a 50% reduction in the number of physical servers, thus reducing overall electrical usage.
- We have recently replaced the majority of our remaining IT servers with more energy efficient models, and continue to do so as new purchases are required.
- All printers and copy machines now revert automatically to “energy save mode” when not in use.
- We have added sensors and timers to turn off lighting in unoccupied offices, corridors and common areas wherever possible. Energy consumption is automatically reduced during the late evening and weekend hours.
- We purchase energy efficient equipment (Energy Star) wherever possible including computers, printers, copy machines, and kitchen appliances.
- We are in the midst of a significant paper-reduction initiative, with the goal of digitizing files and only employing paper storage boxes when necessary. This effort has already resulted in a reduction of tens of thousands of boxes.
- We have replaced all plastic food service items with biodegradable products, such as bamboo coffee stirrers.
- We provide filtered water to limit the use of plastic water bottles. We also provide reusable containers for drinking water to all employees, have initiated a program to provide all incoming attorneys with reusable water bottles to reduce the reliance on plastic bottled water and provide coffee mugs at meetings and conferences to reduce use of paper cups.
- We are in the process of replacing our main paper supply with products containing post-consumer recycled materials.
- Our printers have been reconfigured to default to double-sided printing.
- We recycle toner cartridges, computers and other electronic equipment.
- In cooperation with our on-site garage, we offer free bicycle parking for those choosing to commute to work via pedal power.
- We provide discounted memberships at fitness centers convenient to our NYC offices, including Equinox and New York Sports Club.
- We provide healthy snacks to all employees every afternoon.
- Our medical care plan provides for a free annual physical exam.
- Our annual Health Fair provides an opportunity to learn new things about healthy living.