2021 Litigation Win Highlights
As part of our 2021 recap, please see below for certain key litigation wins led by our US team in 2021.
Cahill prevailed on behalf of:
- Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas (“DBTCA”), securing the dismissal in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in a suit brought by Plaintiffs Insight Securities, Inc. and Intelligenics, Inc. The win earned partner David Januszewski and associates Sesi Garimella, Bonnie Trunley, and Sara Molinksy recognition in The American Lawyer’s Litigators of the Week column.
- Clearview AI, Inc., its founders Hoan Ton-That and Richard Schwartz, and its General Counsel Thomas Mulcaire, in defeating plaintiffs’ motion for preliminary injunction, which sought to enjoin defendants from using the biometric data of Illinois residents in Clearview’s facial recognition app. The win earned Cahill’s Floyd Abrams and Joel Kurtzberg runner-up mentions in The American Lawyer’s Litigators of the Week column.
- Credit Suisse in a number of cases this year including:
- defeating a purported class action brought by plaintiffs alleging that Credit Suisse and other banks violated the antitrust laws by colluding to manipulate U.S. Treasury auctions and the pricing of Treasury securities in the when-issued market, and that the banks and certain trading platforms engaged in a group boycott to prevent exchange-style trading of Treasury securities in the secondary market.
- defeating a purported class action brought by plaintiffs alleging that Credit Suisse, other bank defendants, and certain traders violated the antitrust laws in connection with trading in the multi-trillion dollar market for U.S. dollar-denominated supranational, sovereign, and agency (“SSA”) bonds.
- securing the dismissal in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York in a consolidated action brought by SL-x IP S.á.r.l., SL-x Technology USA LLC, SL-x Technology UK Ltd., and SL-x Trading USA LLC, developers of a stock lending platform.