Charles A. Gilman
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
- Commercial Litigation
- Securities Litigation & White Collar Defense
- Antitrust Litigation
- Corporate Governance & Investigations
- Crisis Advisory
- The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1971, with honors
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1974
- New York
- Washington, D.C.
Charles A. Gilman is a member of Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP's litigation practice group. He is lead and first chair trial counsel in cases of size and import in federal and state courts throughout the country. A few examples include:
- a no liability jury verdict and judgment in Oklahoma for defendant underwriter in a nationwide securities class action over a failed bond offering;
- a no liability jury verdict in West Virginia for defendant investor in an energy exploration contract dispute;
- a unanimous jury verdict and significant damages in New York for plaintiff hotel chain in a legal malpractice action against former national law firm;
- recovery of over $1.6 billion for international bank in insurance arbitration arising out of September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center;
- recovery of over $700 million for biotech company in failed corporate acquisition;
- recovery of over $300 million for securityholders in contingent value rights litigation against international pharmaceutical manufacturer;
- recovery of over $150 million for international hotel chain in action for theft of trade secrets;
- dismissals of multi-billion-dollar securities class actions;
- successful representation of several of our nation's largest law firms in litigation involving alleged violations of securities laws and professional responsibility.
Charlie is recognized as one of New York's top business trial lawyers by Chambers USA and Benchmark Litigation, and has been named among the leading securities litigators in New York by The Legal 500.
- Won jury trial in Oklahoma of nationwide securities class action for major international investment bank in action involving failed bond offering.
- Won jury trial in West Virginia (affirmed on appeal) of action alleging breach of West Virginia oil exploration contract.
- Won jury trial in New York of legal malpractice action involving large national law firm.
- Won trial in New York of action involving property damage/business interruption losses arising out of September 11 terrorist attacks; recovered over $1.5 billion.
- Won trial in Pennsylvania (affirmed on appeal) in antitrust action seeking to enjoin merger of leading food service companies.
- Won over $700 million in action on asset sale agreement involving alleged "material adverse change."
- Won dismissal (affirmed on appeal) of action brought by court-appointed liquidators of two failed Bear Stearns hedge funds seeking over $1 billion for alleged fraud in the issuance of credit ratings.
- Won denial of class action certification in precedent-setting decision involving the efficient market hypothesis and the fraud on the market theory in $4 billion claim of securities fraud against multinational bank.
- Won dismissal in Texas (affirmed on appeal) of antitrust claims in landmark ruling concerning extraterritorial reach of the Sherman Act.
- Won preliminary and permanent injunctions, appointment of federal monitors and related relief in action for theft of trade secrets/violation of Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Won dismissal (affirmed on appeal) of class actions challenging account and service fees charged by national broker-dealers.
- Won dismissal (affirmed on appeal) of action seeking $300 million for tortious interference with acquisition of French real estate properties.
- Won dismissal (affirmed on appeal) of action alleging breach of product development agreement.
- Won dismissal (affirmed on appeal) of class action alleging securities fraud in London insurance market.
- Won summary judgment for largest redeeming investor in Bayou Funds Ponzi scheme.
- Successfully represented merger parties in defeating efforts to enjoin $13.6 billion merger to create world’s largest hotel chain.
- Successfully represented world's largest tire manufacturer in antitrust grand jury investigation of price fixing in original equipment and replacement tire markets (investigation closed, no action).
- Successfully represented issuers, management, underwriters, indenture trustees, credit rating agencies, auditors and outside counsel in numerous governmental investigations and proceedings and private litigation.
- Successfully defended national law firms in actions by bankruptcy trustees, investors, insurers and former clients seeking over $1 billion.
- Successfully defended financial service firms in actions alleging sale of $5 billion in unregistered securities, enjoining all 50 states' attorneys general from initiating civil litigation (affirmed on appeal).
- Lead counsel in 200-party Superfund litigation, resulting in landmark settlement involving release and indemnification of PRP.
- Lead counsel for financial services firms in governmental proceedings and parallel class actions involving alleged price fixing and securities law violations in OTC market.