David R. Owen
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
- Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
- Commercial Litigation
- Securities Litigation, Regulation & Enforcement
- White Collar Defense & Investigations
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1997, cum laude
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1990
- Honorable William G. Bassler, United States District Court, District of New Jersey, 1998-1999
- New York
David Owen advises leading financial institutions and global corporations including boards of directors, audit committees and officers in connection with data privacy and cybersecurity matters.
David advises clients on significant litigation, investigation and regulatory matters covering a broad range of legal and factual contexts including federal and state securities laws, privacy and cybersecurity law, banking laws and regulations, as well as insurance and reinsurance litigation in state, federal, regulatory and arbitration jurisdictions throughout the country and internationally. David is qualified as a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), the largest and most comprehensive global information privacy community.
David has represented, or is currently representing company counsel, members of management, and/or the members of the boards of numerous public companies, including: AIG, Engelhard Corp., Freddie Mac, HSBC, McGrawHill / S&P, Molson Coors, and Prudential Securities, among others.
Articles that David has authored concerning litigation and cybersecurity issues have been published by a variety of publications including The New York Law Journal, the National Association of Corporate Directors Directorship Magazine, Law360 and the Fordham Law Review.
David is a member of the panel of attorneys to advise the Grievance Committee for the Southern District of New York, and has been recognized by the United States Department of State for his contributions as a member of the Hague Convention Attorney Network. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has also recognized David for his outstanding commitment to the representation of parents and children in international abduction cases in federal courts around the country.
A graduate of Dartmouth College and the Fordham Law School, David began his career at Cahill as a summer associate in 1996 and rejoined the firm as an Associate in 1999, following a clerkship with the Honorable William G. Bassler U.S.D.J – D.N.J. (Ret). He became a partner in 2006.
- Obtained a $38 million jury verdict in a contract dispute over patent royalties in New York State Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented the audit committee of a public company in its investigation of insider trading and accounting irregularities in connection with a merger.
- Obtained dismissals of multiple trade secret lawsuits brought in connection with music royalty securitization transactions.
- Represented leading insurance companies in multiple actions arising from insurance and reinsurance agreements.
- Represented public companies in expedited proceedings, putative class actions, and claims alleging RICO fraud and conspiracy.
- Represented public company boards of directors in connection with board self-evaluations and related governance issues.