Emeka C. Chinwuba
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
Emeka Chinwuba’s practice focuses on project development and financing transactions, particularly for renewable energy and infrastructure projects in the Americas and Sub-Saharan Africa. His practice also includes US public private partnerships for transportation and social infrastructure projects, as well as general bank finance transactions, including acquisition financings, investment grade financings and asset-based lending transactions.
Emeka previously worked on secondment in the United Arab Emirates advising on the development and financing of renewable energy projects in the MENA region and in Europe.
Emeka has also served as a volunteer prosecution attorney at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda located in Arusha, Tanzania, in connection with the trial of genocidaires involved in the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
In 2019, Emeka was named among the “30 Black Stars” by Face2Face Africa for which he received a Congressional recognition.
- American Bar Association, member
- New York Bar Association, member
- New York City Bar Association
- Project Finance Committee, member
- Africa Affairs Committee, member
- Cyrus Vance Center for International Justice, Co-Chair Africa Sub-Committee
- Nigerian Lawyers Association in New York, past president and former board member
- Nigerian Bar Association, member
- Advised Masdar as joint venture participant in the development and financing of the GBP 2.3 billion 630 megawatt London Array offshore wind farm project in the UK including with respect to the negotiation of the project and financing documents*
- Advised the administrative agent and the lenders in connection with a senior secured revolving credit facility for up to $100 million with Calibrant Mako, LLC, a subsidiary of a joint venture among Siemens Financials Services, Siemens Industry and GIG Solar Holdco, LLC (a subsidiary of Macquarie Capital) for the development and construction by affiliates of the borrower of solar and other energy projects in the United States*
- Advised a debt fund lender in connection a $27 million holdco financing facility to finance the operation of 3 run-of-river river hydroelectric power projects located in the Huánuco and Junin regions of Peru owned and operated by subsidiaries of Polaris Infrastructure*
- Advised a power developer in connection with an up to $50 million construction completion financing from a development finance institution for the completion of the development of an up to 180 megawatt combined cycle gas power plant in West Africa*
- Represented the administrative agent and lender in connection with an up to $31.5 million senior secured credit facility to Sky Global Power One, LLC which operates a 51-megawatt simple-cycle natural gas-fired power plant in Texas*
- Advised the underwriters in connection with the over US$650 million private activity bond financing for the development and construction of the stage 3 portion (comprising up to 7 miles of managed lanes) of the North Tarrant Expressway (NTE-3C) in Tarrant County, Texas*
- Advised the lenders in connection with a US100+ million construction financing for Axium and Balfour Beatty in connection with the Vanderbilt University Student Housing project*
- Advised Pacific Life Insurance Company as lender in connection with a US$235 million refinancing of a construction loan to Republic Properties Corporation for the development of the 1331 Maryland Avenue residential apartment building in Washington DC*
- Advised the Monomoy Capital Partners, as Borrower, in connection with a $128 million senior secured acquisition financing provided by Midcap Financial Trust for the purchase of majority of the equity interests in Kuaffman Engineering LLC*
- Advised global banks in connection with an $86 million acquisition financing for Axium US Infrastructure for the purchase of student housing developments at the University of Iowa and the University of Nevada from Balfour Beatty*
- Advised the sponsor (Revelstoke Capital Management) and its portfolio company, FP UC Intermediate Holdings, Inc. (an urgent care and primary care services platform) in a $200 million senior secured financing with MidCap Financial Trust, as administrative agent, for the acquisition of the Rural Health Alliance business, refinancing an existing credit facility and providing for working capital*
- Advised the lead arrangers on a USD 690 million repowering project financing for Topaz (a US-based power company), including with respect to the negotiation of the financing and collateral documents*
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on a USD 215 million acquisition financing of a portfolio of parking garages in New York and New Jersey, including with respect to the negotiation and drafting of the financing and collateral documents*
- Advised the lead arrangers on a USD 300 million asset-based financing of Solo Cup (a US manufacturing company), including with respect to the negotiation and drafting of the financing, collateral and intercreditor documents*
- Advised the administrative agent and lead arrangers on a USD 1.1 billion amended and restated bank financing for Steel Dynamics, Inc.*
- Advised the administrative agent and lenders in negotiating commitment papers and financing documents in connection with a USD 300 million acquisition financing by AMP Capital of the ITS/Conglobal group from Carlyle*
- Advised a Fortistar led private equity fund consortium in a USD 215 million senior secured acquisition financing of Primary Energy Recycling Corporation, an operator of a 298 megawatt portfolio of four recycled energy generating facilities in a pulverized coal facility located in Indiana*
- Advised the US Department of Transportation in connection with a USD 325 million subordinated secured municipal loan for the finding of project costs relating the replacement of the Gerald Desmond Bridge at the Port of Long Beach, California*
- Advised a US wind energy developer in its sale of a 255 MW portfolio of wind power projects in the US to a JP Morgan affiliated wind energy portfolio company, including the negotiation, drafting and reviewing of the purchase and sale agreements, the various third party consents under existing financings and hedging arrangements, limited liability company agreements and other various closing documents*
- Advised the administrative agent and negotiated and drafted the financing, collateral and intercreditor documents for a USD 225 million senior and junior debt cross-border financing for the Lynden Pindling international Airport in the Bahamas*
*Matter handled prior to joining Cahill.