Jason M. Hall
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
- Commercial Litigation
- Antitrust Litigation
- First Amendment & Media Litigation
- Securities Litigation, Regulation & Enforcement
- White Collar Defense & Investigations
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2004, cum laude, Hennessey Distinguished Scholar, Boston University Law Review, Editor
- University of Connecticut, Master of Public Affairs, 1999
- University of Connecticut, B.A., 1997
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York
Jason Hall, Co-Chair of Cahill’s Securities Litigation practice group, focuses his practice on representation of global corporations and leading banks in high-stakes litigation, with particular emphasis on complex securities and antitrust litigation, domestic and international commercial litigation, class action defense, and appeals.
Jason also advises corporate boards of directors and their special committees. Past and present representations include AIG, Credit Suisse, HSBC, Prudential, Standard & Poor’s, and UBS among others.
In 2023, he was recognized as a General Litigation Trailblazer by The National Law Journal for the precedent-setting win defending Credit Suisse in a foreign exchange markets class action following an eight-day jury trial in the SDNY.
In recent years, Jason has been recognized as a Next Generation Partner by The Legal 500, a Future Star by Benchmark Litigation, and as a New York Metro “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers.
Jason began his legal career as a summer associate at Cahill in 2003 and was elected to the partnership in 2013. He currently serves as co-chair of the Associate Liaison Committee and is a member of the Education and Training Committee.
- Representing Credit Suisse and numerous current and former directors and executives in litigation filed in the wake of Credit Suisse’s merger with UBS, including securities class action litigation and litigation alleging breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representing Credit Suisse in connection with multiple putative class action litigations brought under the antitrust laws and the Commodity Exchange Act relating to the setting of benchmark and reference rates.
- Representing Credit Suisse in connection with multiple litigations brought under the antitrust laws relating to alleged collusion and collective boycotts to prevent exchange trading of swaps and other derivatives.
- Represented Standard & Poor’s in connection with multiple state and federal investigations and litigations relating to S&P’s ratings of structured finance securities.
- Represented a large international bank in connection with putative class action litigation relating to claims of price fixing in the market for credit default swaps.
- Representing a large international bank in connection with CFTC investigation regarding trading of interest rate swaps.
- Won dismissal, affirmed on appeal, of putative class action against McGraw Hill and certain of its officers and directors alleging violations of the federal securities laws in connection with the sale of McGraw Hill common stock.
- Won dismissal, affirmed on appeal, of all claims brought by German bank against McGraw Hill and Standard & Poor’s based on collapse of a structured investment vehicle.
- Won dismissal, affirmed on appeal, of all claims in a putative subscriber class action challenging certain of Time Warner Cable’s network management practices.
- Won dismissal of all claims in a putative nationwide consumer class action against Overstock.com that challenged Overstock’s return and refund policies and disclosures. Plaintiffs did not appeal the dismissal.
- Represented a special committee of the board of directors of a major television network in connection with a commercial contract dispute.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in multiple litigations arising from alleged breach of commercial contracts.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against HSBC Bank USA in connection with a legal challenge to certain verification of deposit practices.
- Represented Prudential Equity Group in connection with federal securities class action claims relating to “market timing” in mutual funds.
- Represented the audit committee of a multinational public company in connection with an internal investigation, parallel to a SEC investigation, of alleged insider trading and accounting irregularities in connection with a merger.
- Obtained denial of class certification in a putative subscriber class action against Time Warner Cable challenging certain equipment charges.
- Represented a leading global insurer in a AAA arbitration involving a coverage dispute in connection with a fiscal event insurance policy.
- Represented a global telecommunications provider in contract litigation with Verizon regarding payment of inter-carrier compensation and related contract issues.