Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
- Securities Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- White Collar Defense & Investigations
- Corporate Internal Investigations & Crisis Advisory
- First Amendment & Media Litigation
- Cornell University, B.A., 2010
- Cornell University Law School, J.D., 2014
- New York
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, N.D. California
- U.S. District Court, C.D. California
- U.S. District Court, S.D. California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
John MacGregor is a partner in Cahill’s litigation practice group.
He concentrates his practice on advising corporations – including global financial institutions, media companies, insurers, and technology startups – and their executives and board members in complex securities, commercial, and antitrust matters in federal and state courts. John is admitted to practice in both New York and California.
John also advises clients in criminal and regulatory proceedings, including matters before the Department of Justice (DOJ), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), Federal Reserve (Fed), Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and various state attorneys general, and in matters involving foreign regulators such as the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority (FINMA), Swiss Competition Commission (WEKO), European Commission Directorate-General for Competition (EC), and Hong Kong Competition Commission (HKCC).
John also frequently advises on internal investigations concerning regulatory compliance, accounting issues, and potential financial and competition misconduct, such as insider trading, market manipulation, and price fixing.
John began his career as a summer associate at Cahill, and was elected to the partnership in 2023.
- Representing global financial institution in putative class action alleging securities fraud in connection with the delisting of certain exchange traded notes.
- Representing international investment bank in putative class action alleging securities fraud in connection with various disclosures and statements made by senior executives concerning the company’s financial condition.
- Representing global investment bank in putative class action alleging collusion among banks to manipulate U.S. Treasury auctions and a group boycott to prevent the emergence of exchange-style trading in the secondary market.
- Represented artificial intelligence startup, as well as the company’s Chair, CEO, and General Counsel, in multidistrict federal litigation and various state court privacy and consumer protection actions, including actions brought in Illinois federal and state court, California state court, and Vermont state court.
- Represented insurance company in litigation against two hedge funds over PIPE transaction.
- Represented various global financial institutions in responding to dozens of third-party subpoenas in federal and state courts across the country.
- Represented photojournalist in constitutional challenge to New York City’s rules governing the suspension of press credentials.
White Collar Defense and Internal Investigations:
- Representing global bank in cross-border regulatory investigations concerning alleged manipulation of supranational, sub-sovereign, and agency (SSA) bonds.
- Representing global financial institution in cross-border regulatory and internal investigations relating to the failure of a family office.
- Representing investment bank in FINRA investigation of a Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) IPO and subsequent merger.
- Representing international bank in SEC investigation of the CDS auction process.
- Representing investment bank in internal investigation concerning potential breaches of various policies relating to outside business interests.
- Represented global bank in investigation by the DOJ and SEC concerning compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other laws with respect to the bank’s hiring practices in Asia.
- Represented global financial institution in internal investigation concerning potential insider trading in the options market.
- Represented investment bank in cross-border internal investigation concerning potential misstatements related to a convertible bond offering.
- Represented bank in cross-border internal investigation concerning the bank’s compliance with the 2003 Global Research Settlement.
- Represented financial institution in cross-border investigation examining the effectiveness of the institution’s CFO function.
- Represented global bank in SEC investigation into potential insider trading by members of Congress.