Michael B. Weiss
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
Michael B. Weiss is a member of Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP's intellectual property practice group.
Michael has extensive experience practicing in the pharmaceuticals and biopharmaceutical industries, including molecular biology and related fields. He has also practiced in industries as varied as semiconductors, media, and insurance.
Michael counsels companies of all sizes and other owners of intellectual property with legal support designed to maximize the value of their patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret holdings. He is notably experienced in intellectual property audits, and in negotiating and structuring major strategic collaborations, product acquisitions, software development agreements and licensing transactions. He provides due diligence support to companies engaged in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and supporting public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, and has wide-ranging experience in co-development, co-promotion and related agreements across numerous disease and product areas.
Michael also represents commercial and investment banks, private equity and venture capital firms in due diligence activities and in the structuring of transactions associated with the intellectual property-rooted aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and public and private offerings of debt and equity securities and asset acquisition financing.
- Representation of a biotechnology company in its acquisition by Pfizer, Inc.
- Representation of numerous antibody discovery and development entities with respect to in-licensing, out-licensing, development and platform related agreements across multiple antibody technologies.
- Representation of a biotechnology company in a significant co-development relationship with respect to an ophthalmic product.
Michael also provides representation in the prosecution and defense of infringement suits. Selected matters include:
- Representation of XOMA Ltd. in a patent infringement action relating to certain antibody patents.
- Representation of a significant biopharmaceutical entity in an arbitral proceeding relating to a patent licensing dispute.
- Representation of Élan Corporation Plc in various litigations relating to licensing agreements and certain patent related matters.
- Representation of Cambridge Antibody Technology Plc in the defense of a patent-related matter in the Southern District of New York and assistance in the prosecution of an action in the High Court in England.
- Plaintiff’s counsel for a leading commercial bank in an infringement action associated with a software patent.
Michael joined Cahill in 1990 and became a partner in 2000.