Thomas E. Charbonneau
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
- Hamilton College, B.A., 1977, Dean's List
- New York Law School, J.D., 1982, cum laude, Law Review
- New York
Thomas E. Charbonneau is a counsel in Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP's real estate practice group.
Tom has over 25 years of experience advising institutional lenders, investors, investment and commercial banks and real estate developers in transactions including financing, acquisitions, dispositions, securitizations, originations and leasing. Tom has extensive experience representing lead arrangers and underwriters in leveraged bank financings and securities offerings involving significant real estate components such as the $5 billion buyout of London-based global engineering group Tomkins plc and the acquisition by Silver Lake Partners and Warburg Pincus of Interactive Data Corporation, which maintains operations throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. He has also participated in a number of financings in the energy sector, including the Bobcat gas storage project in Louisiana, a coal-fired power plant in Arkansas, a wind power project in Texas and an undersea transmission line between Long Island and New Jersey.
Tom has represented, or is currently representing, institutional lenders and investors including Ares Capital, Citi, Deutsche Bank Securities, J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Royal Bank of Scotland, UBS Securities, Wells Fargo, and other financiers in strategic and leveraged transactions.
Tom also advises real estate developers in the purchase, development, financing, construction, sale and leasing of commercial and residential real estate. Recently, he represented Mattone Group in its acquisition and financing of Roosevelt Raceway Center on Long Island with property that consists of 427,000 square feet of retail stores and condominiums as well as in the first mortgage financings for Springfield Gardens Shopping Center, consisting of a 60,000 sq. ft. Pathmark Superstore, 36,000 sq. ft. of ancillary retail stores and a 400 car parking area and One Jamaica Center in Jamaica, Queens consisting of a 15 screen 3.300 seat theater, national brand retail and office space and the proposed acquisition of the defaulted first mortgage loan on the Source Mall and Fortunoff building in Westbury, NY.
- Represented the Royal Bank of Scotland plc in connection with a $185 million debt financing to fund the construction of the Bobcat gas storage project in Louisiana, comprised of a $120 Term B and $65 million Term A loan.
- Represented a commercial bank in a $137.3 million sale/leaseback of six distribution centers for a Fortune 500 company.
- Assisted a commercial bank in the origination and syndication of a $110 million loan for the construction of a mixed use entertainment-enhanced retail project.
- Represented a foreign bank in the origination and securitization of a $130 million first and second mortgage loan secured by a luxury resort hotel property.
- Represented a national retailer in $137 million public debt offering and sale/leaseback of 24 Sam's Wholesale Clubs.
- Represented a group of institutional investors in connection with the purchase of a senior secured debt issued as part of a multibillion dollar leveraged buyout of a national retailer.
- Represented equity investors in connection with an investment in a wind project in Texas.
- Represented LS Power Associates in connection with a $1 billion financing 665 megawatt Plum Point coal-fired power project in Arkansas.
- Represented the equity investors in connection with the development and financing of a 660 megawatt undersea transmission line between Long Island and New Jersey.