Crypto Practice Expansion Highlights in 2022
Over the past year, Cahill’s Cryptocurrency & Blockchain practice has expanded with the arrival of former SDNY securities fraud prosecutor Samson Enzer, among others, to address the regulatory and enforcement challenges facing institutional and individual clients involved in the FinTech, cryptocurrency, and blockchain sectors. As part of our 2022 Rewind, please see below selected Cryptocurrency & Blockchain practice highlights from 2022.
- Samson Enzer Recognized as a 2022 Cryptocurrency/Blockchain/Fintech Trailblazer by The National Law Journal
- Samson Enzer Named a 2022 Law360 FinTech MVP
Current and Recent Representative Matters:
- Cahill is representing Coinbase as amicus curiae in the SEC’s widely watched cryptocurrency enforcement action against Ripple Labs.
- Cahill is defending FinTech entrepreneur Ilya “Dutch” Lichtenstein, whom the DOJ has accused of allegedly conspiring to launder $4.5 billion in stolen Bitcoin, in one of the most high-profile cryptocurrency cases in history, as featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, New York Magazine, The Washington Post, Business Insider, Law360 and other news outlets.
- Cahill is advising one of the world’s largest digital asset trading platforms, a foreign FinTech payments platform, a digital wallet software provider, a leading cryptocurrency liquidity provider, and other institutional FinTech clients concerning compliance with U.S. laws, including the Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC sanctions, the securities and commodities laws and regulations, and state money transmitter laws.
- Cahill is defending a former senior official of a now-bankrupt cryptocurrency lending platform in SDNY, SEC, CFTC, and other regulatory enforcement probes.
- Cahill is representing the co-founder of a leading DeFi protocol in an SEC investigation concerning compliance with securities registration requirements.
- Cahill successfully represented the former CFO of a cryptocurrency investment fund in avoiding criminal or civil charges in DOJ and SEC investigations.
- Cahill advised a prominent U.S. digital asset trading exchange and trained multiple banks on preventing regulatory enforcement risks from insider trading in cryptocurrency assets or offering cryptocurrency lending products.
- Joel Kurtzberg, Samson Enzer and Taylor Elicegui Publish “The Best-Laid Plans: Crypto Trading Plans To Limit Insider Trading Liability” in The New York Law Journal
- Samson Enzer Publishes “Crypto Insider Trading: What Exchanges Should Know” in The New York Law Journal
- Cahill and the Wall Street Blockchain Alliance Presented “Crypto Enforcement in 2022 and Beyond”
- Samson Enzer Speaks at S&P Global’s “Managing Crypto with Confidence” Series
- Samson Enzer Moderates “The Waltz Between the Industry and Government” panel at the Fordham Law Blockchain Regulatory Symposium
- Samson Enzer Speaks on “The SEC Strikes Again – A Public Discussion about Recent Regulatory Actions,” Panel Presented by the Wall Street Blockchain Alliance
Cahill in the News:
- SDNY Crypto Ace Joins Cahill's White Collar Defense Team, Law360
- Justice Department Announces Seizure of Bitcoin Once Valued at $3.36 Billion, The Wall Street Journal
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel Represents Couple Accused of Laundering Billions in Stolen Bitcoin, The National Law Journal
- Coinbase joins crypto supporters siding with Ripple in SEC case, Reuters
- Cahill Gordon hires ex-prosecutor in McAfee crypto case, Reuters