Helene R. Banks
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
As co-chair of Cahill’s M&A and Corporate Advisory practice groups, Helene advises publicly-held and private companies in significant corporate and securities matters, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and capital markets transactions. She has represented sellers, acquirers, targets, financial institutions, shareholders and investors in M&A transactions, spin-offs, joint ventures, private and public equity and debt offerings, and tender offers. Her work ranges from managing complex international transactions for large public companies to guiding owners through investments in their privately held businesses. Her breadth of experience gives her a unique ability to spot and solve issues and understand all aspects of complicated situations. Helene is recognized as a leading M&A lawyer by The Legal 500 and is recognized for both M&A and Capital Markets Debt & Equity by IFLR1000 2020. In 2021, Helene was shortlisted for Women in Business, Law Lawyer of the Year: Corporate Governance. She was also named among the 2020 Notable Women in Law by Crain’s New York Business.
Helene frequently speaks and writes on ESG, corporate governance, and board diversity issues. She has been published in Practical Law, NACD BoardTalk and NACD Directorship, and has spoken on this topic at The Deal’s Corporate Governance conference, Mergers & Acquisitions’ Most Influential Women in Mid-Market M&A Speak event, and ACG NY’s Women of Leadership Summit. Please click here to read her latest article in NACD Directorship, “When M&A Runs Into ESG.”
- Representation of Coca-Cola Enterprises in its cross-border combination with Coca-Cola Iberian Partners and Coca-Cola Erfrischungsgetränk to create the world's largest bottler of Coca-Cola products under a newly formed UK entity Coca-Cola European Partners plc.
- Representation of founders of Bluewolf Group, the largest Salesforce cloud consulting partner, in its sale to IBM.
- Representation of Airborne in its sale to Schiff Nutrition Group, Inc.
- Representation of Lorillard, Inc. in its acquisition of the assets of BLU electronic cigarettes.
- Representation of SP Newsprint in its sale out of bankruptcy to creditors led by GECC.
- Representation of a private middle-market tech company in the sale of a controlling interest to a private equity buyer and a subsequent acquisition.
- Representation of Elan Corp. plc in connection with the approximately $960 million sale of Elan Drug Technologies to Alkermes, Inc. executed through an inversion to Ireland.
- Representation of Coca-Cola Enterprises, Inc. in connection with the approximately $13 billion sale of its North American business to The Coca-Cola Company, the spin-off of its European operation and the acquisition of the Norwegian and Swedish businesses of The Coca-Cola Company.
- Representation of Falcon Investments in various mezzanine debt and equity investments in connection with acquisitions of middle-market private companies.
Capital Markets / Corporate Finance Transactions:
- Representation of selling shareholders in connection with the sale of common stock of Fortress Transportation and Infrastructure Investors LLC.
- Representation of the underwriters in a $50 million offering of Series D Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock of UMH Properties, Inc.
- Representation of the underwriters in connection with several issuances of senior notes by Constellation Brands.
- Representation of the underwriters in connection with the sale of senior notes by Donnelly Financial Solutions, Inc. and LSC Communications Inc. in separate public offerings conducted in connection with the spin off by RR Donnelly & Sons Company of those two companies.
- Representation of selling shareholders in connection with the sale of common stock of Choice Hotels International, Inc.
- Representation of the initial purchasers in several Rule 144A/Reg S Offerings of Senior Notes of Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co.
Helene was the first female partner elected in Cahill's corporate practice group and mentors many of the female corporate associates of the firm. Helene serves on the boards of the New York Women's Foundation, the Baruch College Fund, and Mitchell College. She served as a member of the National Women’s Law Center Leadership Advisory Committee, the development committee of the YMCA of New York City and the Grants Advisory Committee of the New York Women’s Foundation. She also served on the Board of Trustees of the Tada! Youth Theater and was the Board Chair at the Brooklyn Heights Montessori School where she is a Trustee Emeritus.