Spotlight On: ESG and Board Diversity
The unprecedented events of 2020, which are continuing into 2021, including the COVID-19 pandemic, the racial justice movement, extreme climate-related conditions, the economic slowdown, and the political violence of January 2021, have significantly impacted the ways in which companies are addressing environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues.
Helene Banks, Cahill partner and co-chair of the firm’s M&A and Corporate Advisory practices, has written and spoken on this topic extensively over the last year and a half. Please see below for highlights.
- Helene authored an article in the May/June 2021 issue of NACD Directorship exploring the rise of ESG matters and how they influence M&A transactions. To read the article, "When ESG Runs Into M&A," please click here.
- On April 22, Helene spoke on the “Portfolios with a Purpose: ESG Investing” panel at the 8th Annual ACG NY Women of Leadership Summit. To view the program, click here.
- Helene served as a panelist on the “Effectively Implementing ESG Strategies” panel at Mergers & Acquisitions’ Most Influential Women in Mid-Market M&A Speak event on February 24. To watch the video playback, please click here.
- In a January 2021 article for NACD BoardTalk, Helene provides boards guidance on how to protect their companies and constituents in light of the recent attack on the U.S. Capitol and the expectation of future political violence. To read "10 Actions for Boards in Response to Political Violence," please click here.
- Helene spoke on the “Maintaining Credibility with an Increased Focus on Social Issues” panel during the Corporate Governance 2020: Balancing ESG, Sustainability and Growth conference, held by The Deal in November 2020. The focus of this panel’s discussion was how businesses are setting the standard, creating accountability and installing a regular cadence of updates and actions, particularly in regard to the social aspects of their ESG efforts. To watch the video playback, please click here.
- In a Q&A for Practical Law, "Addressing ESG Issues After the Events of 2020," Helene explains how companies are incorporating ESG factors into their corporate strategies, policies, and operations in response to recent events, and provides guidance for companies seeking to enhance their ESG programs. To read the article, please click here.
- In a previous Q&A in Practical Law’s The Journal - Transactions & Business, Helene explained "The Fundamentals of ESG" and its impact on companies, and provides guidance on effectively incorporating ESG factors into corporate strategies and operations. To read this article, please click here.
- Helene also wrote an article for Practical Law entitled "Board Diversity: Steering the Ship Under the Watchful Eyes of Shareholders, Lawmakers, and Regulators." The article discusses the pressures to improve diversity on boards from a variety of sources, including shareholders, proxy advisory services, legislators and regulators. To read this article, please click here.
- Helene wrote firm memos outlining the recent actions by NASDAQ requesting the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) approve a rule change that would require its listed companies to publicly disclose the diversity composition of their directors and to have at least two directors that self-identify as diverse, including one female, within a specified number of years after listing. Failure to meet the requirement would not result in delisting but would require public explanation. The original rule request, the first for a national stock exchange, elicited over 200 comment letters.