Lawrence A. Kobrin
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
32 Old Slip
New York, NY 10005
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1957, Kent Scholar and Stone Scholar, Notes Editor of the Columbia Law Review
- Columbia University, B.A., 1954, magna cum laude
- New York
A practitioner of more than forty years, Larry specializes in real estate acquisition, commercial leasing, development, management and ownership. He is extensively experienced in the real estate aspects of corporate acquisitions and financings, and he oversees the firm's residential real estate practice.
- Representation of offshore investor interest in acquisition and ownership of premises underlying Bear Stearns headquarters building at 383 Madison Avenue.
- Representation of offshore investment interests in partnership of ownership of commercial office properties with RFR Properties in Manhattan. Recent transactions involved the purchase of the investor interest by RFR and the pending purchase of the RFR interest by another off shore investor.
- Representation of NBC in major lease extensions and restructuring at Rockefeller Center, including coverage under Industrial Development Agency benefits programs and representation of NBC in the bankruptcy reorganization of Rockefeller Center ownership leading to purchase by NBC and GE of their condominium office premises as part of the reorganization.
- Representation of corporate lessees, lease transactions and in arrangements to obtain tax benefit arrangements for headquarters and other leasing transactions in the tri-state area.
- Representation of Goodyear Corporation in its rehabilitation of large "brownfields" site under environmental restoration orders.
- Representation of out of state developer in acquisition of building sites on Manhattan East Side for construction of residential housing.
- Representation of ownership of large commercial industrial building in Manhattan, including efforts to create television studio space under City benefit program, and repositioning of building use in newly developing area.
- Representation of Engelhard Corporation in real property acquisitions of mineral reserve areas, and in construction of its headquarters building complex in New Jersey.
In addition to his real estate practice, Larry serves as counsel to North European Oil Royalty Trust, a publicly traded royalty trust, holding overriding royalty rights in Germany on oil and gas production, and as counsel to a parallel royalty holder, Unitarian Universalist Congregation at Shelter Rock.
Larry was a founding member of the Cooperative Housing Lawyers Group (now part of the State Bar Association), and he served on various State and City Bar Association committees. He is a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, and is a former member of National Association of College and University Attorneys, and is active in a broad range of communal, educational, and civic organizations in the City. He has written for the New York Law Journal and the New York State Bar Journal.
Larry began his career at Cahill, then formed Emil & Kobrin, and later joined Milgrim Thomajan Jacobs & Lee as partner. He returned to Cahill as a partner in 1984. He was a partner in the firm until January 2008 when he became Senior Counsel.