When legal crises develop, immediate and appropriate response is critical. Increased regulation and corporate government investigations are likely to continue introducing sweeping changes that pose serious risks for companies and their officers and directors. From whistleblower investigations to proxy fights and multi-billion dollar lawsuits, our lawyers help companies to understand and to appropriately respond -- to the board, shareholders, media outlets and federal and state regulatory agencies.
Cahill's Crisis Advisory group includes former government attorneys and senior trial lawyers who excel in crisis situations where effective response to federal and state government agencies, regulatory agencies, and international regulatory authorities has been decisive. Our lawyers are also well versed in working with selected public relations firms to help our clients adopt a responsible media relations strategy and program.
- Representation of witnesses before Congressional committees on topics ranging from corporate scandals to regulatory initiatives affecting the capital markets.
- Representation of the new management team of WellCare Health Plans, Inc. in connection with matters relating to the consequences of alleged conduct by prior management, including investigations by the FBI, SEC and U.S. Attorney's Office.
- Representation of Standard & Poor's in connection with the investigation by and settlement with the Attorney General of New York relating to its ratings of securities backed by subprime mortgages.
- Representation of several major banks in connection with SEC investigations and civil litigation arising out of the structuring and/or management of CDOs.
- Representation of Credit Suisse in connection with civil litigation relating to the setting of U.S. Dollar LIBOR.
- Representation of Wal-Mart’s Audit Committee concerning the multi-year investigation by the SEC and DOJ into the Company’s global FCPA compliance and allegations of corruption.
- Representation of HSBC Holdings plc, favorably resolving multi-year investigations by the Department of Justice, Office of Foreign Assets Control, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Reserve Bank, District Attorney of New York County, and the U.K. Financial Services Authority concerning various issues, including the bank's global dollar clearing services and Bank Secrecy Act compliance.
- Defense of a national insurance broker in federal and state investigations arising from bribery of government officials by an officer, concluded with no charges filed against the company.
- Representation of numerous Fortune 50 companies in criminal Grand Jury investigations of alleged antitrust violations.
- Representation of newspaper reporter and book author, James Risen, in responding to grand jury and trial subpoenas seeking confidential source information.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims brought against a leading financial publisher in the multidistrict Enron securities litigation; also included work related to the investigation by the government's Enron Task Force and the criminal trials of Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling.
- Representation of two former WorldCom, Inc. directors in numerous federal and state actions filed on behalf of its shareholders, bondholders and ERISA plan participants.