Mergers & Acquisitions
Cahill advises public and private companies, boards, special committees and private equity firms across a variety of industries in connection with mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, spin-offs and other significant strategic transactions. We also advise clients on related aspects of M&A, including acquisition finance and governance, disclosure and compliance matters.
Drawing upon the expertise of our lawyers from different practice groups, including antitrust, executive compensation and employee benefits, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), intellectual property and tax, Cahill is able to provide clients with comprehensive advice and seamless execution.
Cahill has been ranked among the top middle-market (sub $500M) practices by The Legal 500 United States since 2009, and was named "Law Firm of the Year” by The Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) New York and The M&A Advisor in 2018.
Examples of buy-side representations include:
- 1-800-FLOWERS in its acquisition of PersonalizationMall.com, Shari’s Berries brand in a 363 bankruptcy sale and Harry & David.
- Our work on the PersonalizationMall.com deal was named “E-Commerce Deal of the Year” in 2021 by Mergers & Acquisitions.
- Our work on the Shari’s Berries deal was named “Restructuring Deal of the Year” in 2020 by The Deal and The M&A Advisor.
- Arch Capital Group Ltd. in its acquisition of Watford Holdings and United Guaranty Corp, which included offerings of senior notes and preferred shares and an amended and restated credit agreement.
- Cable One, Inc. in its investment and acquisition transactions with three communications service providers: Valu-Net LLC, Wisper ISP, LLC, and AMG Technology Investment Group, LLC.
- ICON plc in its acquisitions of Akos, Aptiv Solutions, ClinForce, Clinical Research Management, Healthcare Discoveries, MolecularMD, PMG Research, PriceSpective, PRA Health Sciences, and Symphony Clinical Research, among others.
- S&P Global in its acquisition of 451 Research, LLC.
- One of the world’s largest asset management firms and its portfolio companies in connection with internal compliance investigations, M&A diligence, development of policies and employee training programs, and other regulatory matters, including FCPA and trade sanctions compliance.
- A group of investors seeking to do a roll up of small companies in the insurance industry in their first acquisition valued at approximately $50 million, and ongoing representation as they acquire additional companies and bring in other equity, with a goal to an eventual IPO exit strategy.
- A PE-owned telecom company in several acquisitions valued at under $25 million, and ongoing regulatory advice to the Company.
Examples of sell-side representations include:
- 1-800-FLOWERS in its sale of Fannie May Confections Brands, Inc. to Ferrero International.
- Our work was named "Deal of the Year - Consumer/Retail" in 2018 by ACG NY and The M&A Advisor.
- Dyadic International, Inc. in its sale of substantially all of the assets of its Industrial Technology business to DuPont Industrial Biosciences.
- The Empire District Electric Company in its sale to a US subsidiary of Algonquin Power & Utilities.
- Envigo International Holdings, a Trevi Health portfolio company, in connection with its transaction agreement with Avista Healthcare Public Acquisition Corp., a publicly traded SPAC, and the subsequent sale of its non-clinical contract research services business to LabCorp and the simultaneous purchase by an Envigo subsidiary of LabCorp’s research products business.
- Our work was named “Deal of the Year – Cross Border” in 2019 by The M&A Advisor.
- MedAvante, a Trevi Health portfolio company, in connection with its acquisition by WIRB-Copernicus Group, an Arsenal Capital portfolio company.
- S&P Global in connection with the divestiture of a subsidiary.
- Tembec in its sale to Rayonier Advanced Materials.
- Our work was named "Deal of the Year - Cross Border" and "Deal of the Year Manufacturing/Industrials" in 2018 by ACG NY and The M&A Advisor.
- Trans World Entertainment in the sale of substantially all assets constituting its FYE segment.
- Our work was named “Out-of-Court Restructuring Deal of the Year” in 2021 by The M&A Advisor
- A company in the technology and staffing business in the sale of control to an outside investor, with the founders retaining management control and significant ownership, and over the next six years, representing the founders as the company grew, through an acquisition and restructuring of the Company into two operating divisions, the sale of one of the divisions to a large public company and the eventual sale of the remaining division to an investor seeking to effect a consolidation in the industry.
- A U.S.-based packaged food distributor valued at under $50 million in a transaction in which its largest supplier became a majority owner of the company, and ongoing work with the company as it grows its business.
- The largest preferred stockholder (a family office) in the sale of an early stage life sciences company, which included earnout milestones, licensing agreement and a services agreement with a piece of the business that was not sold.