Michael A. Sherman advises public and private companies and leading investment banking firms on mergers and acquisitions, bank financings and public and private debt and equity offerings, including high yield, investment grade, secured, unsecured and insured bonds, common stock and preferred stock. He also advises private and public companies in connection with other corporate matters, including SEC filings, corporate governance, and general corporate advice.
Michael is recognized as a leading M&A lawyer by The Legal 500.
- The Empire District Electric Company in connection with its acquisition by a subsidiary of Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
- Ascend Health Corporation in its acquisition by Universal Health Services, Inc.
- J.P. Morgan Asset Management in its acquisition of Gávea Investimentos, a leading asset management company in Brazil. Earlier, Michael represented J.P. Morgan Asset Management in its acquisition of Highbridge Capital Management, LLC
- Wireless communications company US Unwired Inc., in connection with its $1.3 billion acquisition by Sprint Corporation
- ACON Investments, a private equity firm, in connection with its acquisition and subsequent sale of Florimex International, a global flower company
Capital Markets/Corporate Finance Transactions
Representation of the lead underwriters, initial purchasers and arrangers and issuers in:
- High yield debt offerings and a bank financing of $2.35 billion in the aggregate by Mallinckrodt for the acquisitions of Therakos and Questcor Pharmaceuticals
- Bank financing for the acquisition of Outerwall Inc. (the owner of Redbox DVD rentals and Coinstar cash-exchange kiosks) by Apollo Global Management
- $1.1 billion bank financing for the spin-off of Quality Care Properties, Inc. from HCP, Inc.
- $2.125 billion bank financing for the acquisition of Electronic Funds Source by Wex Inc.
- High yield debt offerings of $2.15 billion in the aggregate by Citgo Petroleum Corporation and an affiliate
Represented the lead arrangers in providing financing for many leveraged buyout transactions, including some of the largest ever completed, such as:
- TXU Corp. ($24.5 billion of bank financing)
- Harrah's Entertainment, Inc. ($9.25 billion of bank financing)
- Kinder Morgan, Inc. ($5.8 billion of bank financing)
- The HD Supply business of The Home Depot ($3.4 billion of bank financing)
- Kinetic Concepts International ($2.5 billion of bank financing)
Michael has practiced at Cahill since his graduation from New York University School of Law.